One Month of Clothing (and Antlers in my Suitcase)

What does packing clothes for a month in San Marcos look like? This.
My "uniform" is smocks, leggings, and t-shirts with an occasional dress or jumper and swishy wrap. Most of this can fit in a large backpack. If I get wild, it overflows into a carry-on. Yes, I got wild. I will most likely find that this is too much. But even while I pack light, I still travel with two suitcases. Why? To bring things! (Also to take extra things home.) This time I brought:

There are antlers, seashells, cello strings, backdrops, health products, and all sorts of interesting supplies for making instruments from unexpected natural objects. For this, I will enjoy a gourmet seafood dinner and the joy of knowing I had a part in the creation of beautiful music. I also brought less exciting but very practical things for two others who needed a battery phone case and vacuum seals. It is the way of friends on Lake Atitlan.

What about toiletries and shoes? I'm so glad you asked. These are necessary but minimal. I have two styles of shoes. I wear more rugged Birkenstocks on the plane and pack my flat "barefoot" shoes (of which I have multiples because they are washable, and I need one pair to wear while the other dries). Toiletries mainly consist of toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, lip balm, comb, shampoo, plus tweezers and nail clippers. Mine are all tiny and fit inside this case:

Don't believe me? My shampoo is a small bar in a tin. It doubles as soap. Toothpaste samples last a long time. I brought two since one was partially used. My toothbrush half size and fits into itself as a case. Actually, I forgot to mention the tube of sunscreen and a micro sewing kit that also live in this little bag. See? Easy. Everything I need.

This trip I did not bring my cameras, even though I wanted to try out my new harness. Instead, I will use my phone since I upgraded it this year. I may like it so much that I will never bring big cameras again! I also did not bring the pots and pans I originally bought for my tiny writing studio. Too much stuff. Besides, I think I need it in the USA now for another Airbnb project.

What else did I bring? My laptop and transcription equipment, a book by Beth Jones titled reinvent, a Spanish Bible to leave in my "writer's roost" when it is finished, bamboo utensils emblazoned with the name of the roost: Aurora, and a mini clothes dryer that hangs on a closet rod (or the like--here I usually hang outside on the metal work or sturdy vines) with a few clips so I can wash things as needed and dry them. 

But the most amazing addition to this trip is a gadget my parents gave to me for Christmas: a translator! It is a bit laughable to try and use it, but I am able to communicate more!

That reminds me of my purse (since I keep the translator in the bottom pocket). I am using a small purse with several pockets and a long strap to wear cross-body style so my hands are free. That's important because it goes everywhere I do. I guess it's also a part of my "uniform." It holds my money, documents, phone, charger, audio recorder, language translator, notebook, pens, and lip balm. It's about teice as big as my toiletries bag, so still small! I have a carabiner clip whenever I bring extras that are too big like a tiny umbrella and/or water bottle.

Voila! There's my month-long packing. :-)

Comments