A Force for Good

Alejandro José D'anilo Tabares--the one who will "Raise the Roof" with me--is donating his time to help this family replace their leaking roof and improve the structure and design.

I want you to meet someone unique. Alex is not Guatemalan, but San Marcos has become home for him. I could say this about MANY people here! Hippies and expats have fallen in love with this village on Lake Atitlan surrounded by volcanoes and mountains. It is magical.

But what is magical to me is Alex's story. I don't have time to tell it all here--that would be beyond impossible--and it's really his story to tell, not mine. I think it will take several books! But I want you to know enough about him to see a beautiful life in action.

Alex asked me, "Have you seen the movie 'The Devil Wears Prada'?" I actually had (unusual for me). "That was my life!" He went everywhere with an entourage--responsible for hundreds of locations in several countries and the European interns who wanted to learn the fashion industry. Alex described street scenes in New York City--assistants flanking him so he could keep working--Blackberries in those days. They carried his belongings and guided him through busy streets. He never had to look up. Their hands went across his chest to signal a moment to wait for a cross walk, and they removed their hands when it was time to walk.

The fast-paced, lavish lifestyle didn't sustain him. He planned to die more than once. This is where you really need his words, not mine. One such plan was at a beach so no one he knew would have to find his body, but each day was just beautiful enough to help him postpone until another day. 

Alex gave away everything he owned--save for his dog, Lily, and what he could fit into two backpacks--and never went back to Armani suits and New York City life. This renewal of sorts led him to help others. He often wondered if someone in need was close to suicide and if his help could bring hope. Whatever he had, he used to help others. He already surrendered his life. What did he need to pursue?

As it turns out, Alex's hands became full of pursuits in short order--this time on the dirt-packed side streets of San Marcos. He was willing to help and willing to work. His fast-paced mind found opportunities and developed them--many involving property. His heart was often moved for the people who had so little, and he put them to work on building projects that he was involved in or created jobs wherever he could.

As the pandemic approached in 2019, Alex was concerned about the locals having food if tourists and those from the US who spent part of their year there did not come. He gathered influential friends, and they gathered food and families who truly needed help. Familia Utz Corazón was born. They have since helped with basic needs, rebuilding homes, developing educational opportunities, and providing scholarships for vocational training.

My world intersected with his when I applied for a writing retreat with Joyce Maynard at her Guatemalan home on Lake Atitlan. Alex is her property manager. When I asked about staying on to write and do some volunteer work, Alex (who is a consummate concierge, by the way) helped me find an affordable place . . . and since his previous renter was moving out of his 2nd floor room, one option was his home! I took it.

This whirlwind of life I witness in Alex inspires me. It's not just the charity work that so easily swirls around him, it's the joy of life and connection to others that draws people to him. I walk with him down the street and share in his constant greetings, kisses, and impromptu meetings. It is wonderful! Even in our own times before others show up for the day or have left for the night, we talk of life past, shared faith, tragic struggles, and future dreams. He reads his writings--much in poetry--and shares songs that stir his heart. I say "yes" to things he suggests that scare me--singing, playing music, making videos. I find myself also enjoying renewal. He is a long-lost friend I just now found.

Alex takes measurements for the new roof.
Alex takes measurements for the new roof.


Comments