Houses--7 to None (or Maybe One-Half)

Writers meet with local nonprofit Familia Utz Corazón to sort shoes.

After navigating Barrios 2 with Enio and Matteo, Elisabeth and I navigated piles of shoes, crayons, and markers with the community group, Familia Utz Corazón. It is such an interesting group: all kinds of backgrounds--both local and foreigners who have made San Marcos their home.

I asked how it began, and Annika (pictured to the right) said that Alex had the foresight to know the pandemic would greatly affect locals, and they came together to make sure people had food. It was not like I knew the pandemic in the USA. I was fortunate to have a job, so my level of concern was, "Where can I find toilet paper?" Their level of concern was, "Keep your neighbor alive."

Through the past two years, this group has gathered records of families in need and makes sure those who truly need help most are helped first. Otto (top right, looking at the camera) is involved in this detailed work.

I want to talk about Otto for a moment--something beyond the shoe project. That concern for helping those with the deepest needs first is not just a goal for him. He lives this. 

This group also rebuilt 7 homes that had been destroyed by a boulder that rolled down the mountain after a landslide. Later I learned that there was 1 home that was was not rebuilt: Otto's. How could he serve himself first? He didn't. They didn't. 

Since October, Otto's house has been a ragged reminder of the tragedy that ripped through his neighborhood. If I can do something about his home, that will be the next project!



Comments