One Small Kindness in Light of Love and Hate


This young man expanded my heart to see that I could do more--even for just one person.  I wrote about him a bit here: Thirteen Years in My Pocket and On Kindness, Good, and Evil

His serious, kind, and faithful soul marked me again in recent days as he spent his days serving us to earn his wages with which he raises his younger sister--they have become orphans after the death of their mother (their father had died years ago). By contrast, other kids his age (former coworkers) are involved in a very serious situation against his boss in which building materials were charged to the boss' account and then sold!

This has me reflecting on several Bible verses. John 10:10 (AMPC): "The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it overflows)." Romans 12:21 (AMPC): "Do not let yourself be overcome by evil, but overcome (master) evil with good."

After the stolen material was discovered and the police became involved, death threats came from the leader. Destruction began to ripple. In response, many rallied around the boss, who is a benevolent figure in the community as well as a businessman. 

The final verdict was overcoming evil with good--but it wasn't just ignoring the evil and heaping more good on the world or toward the situation. It was a case of confronting the wrong. 

I had to look up the word they translated as "overcome (master). in Romans 12:21" The Greek word nikáō comes from nikē. Familiar word, right? Nike: Just do it! It means "to carry off the victory, come off victorious," and "when one is arraigned or goes to law, to win the case, maintain one's cause."

Maintain one's cause. I love those words. It's easy to crumble when opposition overwhelms. It has happened to too many good people! I cheer on the side of good, on the side of life, on the side of abundance.

Hate comes without cause. Jesus talked about it. Obviously he maintained his cause and carried off the victory. I believe that means he made a way for us to do the same.

John 15:24-25 (AMPC)
24
If I had not done (accomplished) among them the works which no one else ever did, they would not be guilty of sin. But [the fact is] now they have both seen [these works] and have hated both Me and My Father.
25 But [this is so] that the word written in their Law might be fulfilled, They hated Me without a cause.

I am both warned and encouraged by this. I am a stranger in this country but becoming known in this village. I do not know who "deserves" help, and I see more need than I can meet. But the opportunity to make a difference in one young man's life with the spending money in my purse thrills me. 

So this I do. I maintain my cause and come off victorious by using good to overcome evil. These scriptures are enough for me! 

As I finish these thoughts in light of changes over the past many months, I see needs growing with the changing pandemic economy. It encourages me again to believe that good can and will overcome evil--not just the extreme threats of stealing, killing, and destroying, but the "everyday" realities of poverty and lack that so many Americans cannot even imagine but are common elsewhere. I'm renewing my effort to try and make a difference one small (or large) kindness at a time.

Comments